Build capacity by building your people
For a no-obligation, complimentary consultation about training needs for next year, contact Shona
We believe that training should be in response to the specific needs of your business, now and in the future.
A structured training needs analysis will identify the skill and capability requirements of your long term strategy, measuring the gap between current levels and that needed for the future.
STEP 1: Identify Training Needs
1. Identify issues that could be resolved by training
- Analyse customer complaints
- Look at compliance issues
- What behaviours are you observing?
- What skill gaps have you observed?
- Assess feedback from managers and colleagues
- Consider results from performance reviews
2. What does the individual aspire to do?
- Can you assist them to take their next career step?
- What additional skills will benefit both them and your organisation?
3. What does the business need to be in the future?
- What are the skill gaps that stop you from getting there?
- What new technology, legislation, best practice do you need to learn about?
- Are there additional responsibilities you will need to take on?
- Do you need to train more people to handle growth?
- What are the risks identified in your succession plan?
Step 2: Identify Expected Return on Investment
1. What changes will you expect from training?
2. How will you measure the success of training?
3. What benefits will come from the training?
- Increase in sales
- Increase in customer satisfaction
- Less time spent dealing with issues
- Ability to accomodate growth
- Ability to satisfy a new market
- Staff satisfaction and hence increased productivity
- Streamlined processes
4. Calculate expected return from the investment
Step 3: Plan Training
1.Research the training most likely to deliver the required outcomes
- Local providers
- Industry training
- In house programmes
- Public courses
- On the job training or mentoring
2. Get the most from your training
- Allocate budget for training
- Talk to staff members and agree on training and timeframe for completion
- Prior to attending the course, discuss the training and outline what you expect from attending
- Agree on action(s) to take when the training is completed (ie present to others, write a report, complete a project)
- After training, provide support to complete the agreed action and coach staff member to ensure behaviour change has occured as required
- Assess and review the return on investment